1. The Head of the Organization is the Chief Controller of Factories with its office at Block J, Ground floor, near NSIC Technical Centre Okhla Industrial Estate, PhaseIII, New Delhi - 110020. The Chief Controller is responsible for exercising overall supervision on the functioning of the Government Opium and Alkaloid Works, as well as the Finance and Marketing cell at New Delhi. The two Factories – one located at Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh at a distance of 76 kms from Varanasi and the other at Neemuch in Madhya Pradesh located 120 kms away from Udaipur, comprise of two units, the Opium Factory and the Alkaloid Works. The opium factory undertakes the work of receipt of opium from the fields, its storage and processing for export. The alkaloid works are engaged in processing raw opium into alkaloids of pharmacopoeia grades to meet the domestic demand of the pharmaceutical industry. Both these Factories are Headed by the General Managers who in turn are under the supervisory control of the Chief Controller of Factories.
2. The overall supervision of the organization is vested with the Committee of management under the chairmanship of the Additional Secretary (R), Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue.
3. The Chief Controller has all the powers as Head of the Department under the Delegation of Financial Power Rules. He is also designated as Appellate Authority under the provisions of Rule 29 of the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Rules, 1985.
4. The Government Opium and Alkaloid Factories employ a total workforce of 1432 people at its two opium and alkaloid plants. The workforce comprises of officials and staff drawn from the Central Board of Excise and Customs, Central Bureau of Narcotics, Central Revenues Control Laboratory apart from personnel selected by the Union Public Service Commission directly. The security of the factories is assigned to the personnel deputed by Central Industrial Security Force. Both the factories are also having dedicated fire fighting wing of the C.I.S.F.
5. Both the factories and their functions are governed in accordance with the provisions contained in the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and Rules, 1985.